Midwestern State University Associate Professor • September 2012 – present
Taught courses that included components of social media, website content management, photojournalism, grammar, spelling, punctuation, AP style. In-depth units in media law, ethics, photojournalism and social media. All courses were hybrid, using Brightspace D2L as the learning management system. Advised student media including weekly student newspaper, The Wichitan, and weekly news broadcast, Campus Watch, both with online components including social media such as Twitter and Facebook.
- Hardin Professor selection committee, 2017
- Strategic Planning committee, 2016-2017
- Organized and planned first Social Media Day, October, 2016
- Cronkite Conference on Media Ethics, top faculty paper, 2015
- Distinguished Adviser Award for newspaper advising at a four-year college or university, College Media Association, 2014
- Robin F. Garland Educator Award, National Press Photographers Association, 2014
- College representative to Faculty Senate 2015-2020, elected parliamentarian
- Advisory committee, Enhancing Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities
National recognition of student media included
- Online ACP Pacemaker Finalist, 2018
- 4th place, ACP Design, Justin Marquart, 2018
- 2nd place, ACP Best of Show, fall 2017, Dallas
- Honorable Mention ACP Cartooning, Johnny Blevins, 2015
- 4th place ACP Feature Photo, Lauren Roberts, 2015
- Honorable Mention ACP Advertising, Brittany D’Alesandro, Megan Fernandez, 2014
- Honorable Mention, ACP Cartooning, Johnny Blevins, 2014
Instructor of record for:
- Media Writing and Reporting
- Advanced Media Writing and Reporting
- Newspaper Practicum
- Media Management
- Media History
- Media Ethics (online course taught as adjunct at Adelphi University)
North Carolina State University Coordinator, Student Media Advising • Dec. 2002-Oct. 2011
While pursuing PhD, taught training classes in photojournalism, design, reporting, diversity, media law and copyediting. Prepared online training materials at ncsu.edu/sma, making use of online classroom systems such as Blackboard. Supervised professional staff of five including human resource and information technology operations. Advised daily newspaper, yearbook, literary magazine, television operation, radio station and online media. Wrote press releases and numerous documents to promote and document activities of program within the university system and externally. Prepared budget exceeding $800,000 and manage day-to-day, non-content-related issues. For about 10 years, served as administrative liaison between students and campus administration. Publications received numerous state and national awards including the Gold Crown from CSPA and the Pacemaker from ACP.
- Certified mediator, Human Resources
- Adviser, EMS Club
- National recognition of student media included
- yearbook: four CSPA Gold Crown awards, two Silver Crown awards; seven ACP Pacemakers
- daily newspaper: two CSPA Silver Crown awards
- literary magazine: two CSPA Gold Crown awards, one CSPA Silver Crown award; six ACP Pacemaker awards
Kansas State University Visiting Assistant Professor • Aug. 2001-Dec. 2002
Taught classes to PR, advertising and print media students on Web communication, photojournalism, editing and design including classes that required specific knowledge of current trends in print media, multimedia, technical skills in AP style, photojournalism and Web-page development. Coordinated awards program including writing press releases.
National Press Photographers Association Executive Director • Jan. 1999- Feb. 2001
Coordinated the day-to-day operations of this 10,000-member professional association for television and still photojournalists including managing workshops, $1.8 million budget, membership activities, staffing, press relations, contract negotiation, sales items and media relations. On a daily basis, worked with publishers, editors, photographers and reporters at television stations, magazines and newspapers all over the world. Assisted board members with writing and implementing policy, including writing first policy handbook. Negotiated hotel contracts for national and regional conferences. Supervised national office staff. Prepared budget and regular budget reports. Maintained membership database and regular membership reports.
University Interscholastic League Assistant Academic Director • Aug. 1997 – Jan. 1999
Produced bi-monthly newsmagazine working with numerous writers and photographers as managing editor of the Leaguer (circ: 35,000). Edited numerous other UIL publications related to all facets of UIL’s mission. Provided information to legislators, local and state media regarding academic competitions. Coordinated state-wide conferences and numerous contests at all grade levels including arranging for speakers locally, regionally and nationally. Coordinated academic contests for high school, junior high and elementary. Managed academic professional and student staff members.
Taylor Publishing Company Marketing Department Manager • Aug. 1993-June 1996
Managed technology branch including indirect supervision of engineering, production and education staffs for one of the nation’s largest book publishers headquartered in Dallas. Represented company to public and media. Led Total Quality Management teams and re-engineering process team that resulted in new $2.5 million production environment. Served as art director on numerous photographic/art projects. Pioneered technical support/customer service division for desktop publishing environment. Helped to setup and maintain computer network and Internet presence.
Irving High School Publications Adviser • Sept. 1992-Aug. 1993
Advised student publications ($50,000 budget) and taught classes in photography, journalism and publications production for suburban school district near Dallas. Wrote curriculum guide. Coordinated and taught at numerous workshops throughout the Metroplex, state and nation.
Wimberley Independent School District Public Information Officer Sept. • 1989-Aug. 1992
Handled media relations with Austin/San Marcos/San Antonio newspapers, radio and television stations. Edited central administration publications for rural school district including district’s annual report. Advised student publications ($12,000 budget) and taught classes in all aspects of media. Wrote district technology plan.
Westlake Picayune Head photographer • 1981-Jan. 1987
Coordinated all darkroom and photography for a large, weekly newspaper. Served as special section editor for three consecutive years. Assigned stories, photos and assisted with typesetting. Supervised photography staff and free-lance photographers. Worked with other Austin-area media as free-lance photographer and writer.